Join our Family
FirstWatch is a small company with a big commitment to those who depend on us. Our customers (EMS, fire, police, public health, and hospitals) provide the essential safety net for people throughout the US and Canada. These customer/partners literally have lives in their hands every day. Our team members enjoy our fast paced, innovative and fun culture that’s laser focused on meeting the needs of our customers so they can take good care of their communities. If you’re people-oriented, kind, able to learn new things quickly, and love being part of a small, hard-working, intensely cohesive team doing big things then we’d love to see if there’s a place for you on our team.
Location: Carlsbad, CA
At FirstWatch, we partner with public safety and healthcare professionals to turn raw data into useful and actionable information, improving operational effectiveness and driving better outcomes. When customers use FirstWatch, they view easy-to-read, customizable web pages, dashboards, charts, and graphs designed to make it easy for them to interpret the data being collected by their 911 and public safety system. If you love mining, solving technical issues, diving into databases, working with the coolest customers you can imagine, or helping folks make a real difference for the people they serve then our team might be the place for you. If you’re interested in working in Southern California with a small team of incredibly kind and really smart people working with EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement, Dispatch, customers to optimize the care and service they provide to their communities….then send us your resume.
This position is responsible for software development in multi-application, multi-server, and hosted environments. The candidate will primarily provide system/configuration support with a focus in helping the needs of both internal and external customers. He or she will participate in all facets of software and system development life-cycle.
The most qualified candidate for this role will have experience working with business intelligence in the public safety and/or public health software fields and have formal software education and/or a ton of practical experience. We develop primarily in C#, .NET MVC, SQL, SSRS and mobile. Anyone that might fit well at FirstWatch must be hard-working, people-oriented, friendly, patient, a fast learner, think quickly on their feet, take initiative and responsibility, and LOVE providing our customers great and honest customer service. This person will need to maintain a high quality productivity level within a fast paced environment. This position shares responsibility (rotates) with other engineering staff for 24×7 on call duties and so must be able to thrive in this environment.
- Maintain and modify the software and system configurations of production, staged, and test applications
- Interface with different stakeholders to determine and propose appropriate and effective technology solutions to meet business and technical objectives
- Develop interfaces, applications and other technical solutions to support the business needs through the planning, analysis, design, development, implementation and maintenance phases of the software and systems development lifecycle
- Create system requirements, technical specifications, and test plans
- Define the scope of technical projects; provide milestones, identify dependencies and development time estimates
- Create technical documentation as needed
- Work independently as well as in a collaborative environment
- Some off-site work may be required. Some travel may be needed. Provide after-hours support
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication skills
- Be able to work under tight deadlines
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Credentials:
- Education: BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or an equivalent degree
Preferred Skills and Credentials:
- Current Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer or equivalent
- Experience in developing and support software solutions for public safety and public health
- Other databases experience a plus
- Experience in interfacing with third party solutions
- Agile development
- Successful in taking a web-centric solution to the mobile platform
- Windows Server OS management skills
- Microsoft SQL Server management skills
This job description is subject to change at any time and will include other tasks and duties as assigned.
Would you like to work for an established, and growing company providing real-time informatics used by more than 200 public safety and public health agencies throughout the US and Canada? FirstWatch is a small, family-oriented company with most positions (including this one) based in Encinitas, California. We have a hosted system that allows our customers to monitor their public safety data systems for trends, patterns, KPIs, etc., and which provides real-time dashboards and automated notifications when a concerning trend is identified. Started in 1999, our people, company culture, and wonderful customers are the keys to our success. We’re all about doing the right thing for our customers, their patients, the citizens they serve—and each other. It takes a unique person to be a good fit at FirstWatch.We are looking for a Report Writer to join FirstWatch and help us take great care of our customers, improve our products, and grow our business. We need a top-notch Report Writer who loves to help people, thrives in an environment that is rapidly changing, and is passionate about Public Safety and/or Public Health.
This position will be joining a small team of senior customer service personal who are experts of our product to bring specific talents for supporting, developing and maintaining a hosted system that allows our clients to do their jobs better and easier. This position will need to have experience in Microsoft SQL server Reporting Services (SSRS) and customer service. This position shares responsibility (rotates) with other customer services staff for 24×7 on call duties and so must be able to thrive in this high-responsibility, high-availability environment.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Public Safety and Public Software Experience (Police, Fire, and EMS) but not required
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- MS SQL Server 2008 as a minimum
- MS Access, Excel and other database and BI related tools
- 2 years of report development and analytic experience using relational database management systems and report writers
- Developing and working with stored procedures, queries, views, tables and functions
- In addition to a strong business understanding, must have expertise in data analysis and presentation, reports requirements development, enterprise technology application and support.
- Report writing and business intelligence skills, including using those systems in a multi-user, multi-platform environment
- Reporting life-cycle including: planning, design, development, implementation, maintenance, troubleshooting, support and training
- Managing projects related to report development and deployment
- Ability to prioritize work and complete assignments on time, maintain a positive attitude, and build and maintain effective business relationships with co-workers and customers
- Strong oral and written communication skills; strong personal and presentation skills; analytical, logical and methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with peers and cross-functional team members from a variety of business functions.
- Team player and great collaborator, also self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to come up with a design document from meetings and convert it into a working user interface
- Strong troubleshooting skills
Desired education includes a Bachelor’s Degree or MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
FirstWatch provides Business Intelligence for Public Safety (EMS, Fire & Police) and Public Health organizations that help them provide better care and service on a daily operational and clinical basis, and early recognition of suspicious activities, crime trends, arson patterns and other incidents of interest, including activities near or around high-threat facilities, as well as potential terrorism-related events. FirstWatch provides real-time situational awareness and automated alerting for public health directors, epidemiologists and other authorized team members via interactive web-based tools; and other products.
Our dedicated FirstWatch team is THE critical component to our success! We’re all about doing the right thing for our customers, their patients and citizens they serve—and each other.
FirstWatch provides equal employment opportunities for all persons and prohibits discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or non-disqualifying disability.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please, no recruiters or headhunters.